Silent Circle (started by Phil Zimmerman, of PGP fame) has closed it’s encrypted email service. In its announcement, it mentioned that it could “see the writing on the wall”. This is exactly what the American Government wants. They strong-armed TORMAIL on the pretext they were looking for child pornography, and then Lavabit felt the heat of the authorities. Now this service has fallen over. It would be pretty clear by now there is no where to hide from universal surveillance. I have seen a few comments from people still stating that they are protected under the constitution, but I would argue that the likes of the NSA are playing under a totally different set of rules. Any notion now of living in a democracy is a best, an ideal, and nothing more.
- Another encrypted Internet service shutting down after Lavabit (rt.com)
- Encrypted email service Silent Circle won’t comply with NSA, shuts down (notthesingularity.com)
- Lavabit and Silent Circle are dead: encrypted email alternatives still active (slashgear.com)
- Encrypted email service Silent Circle won’t comply with NSA, shuts down (polizeros.com)
- Another U.S. secure email service shuts down to protect customers from authorities (gigaom.com)
- Guys That Invented Encrypted Email Say Email Can Never Be Safe From NSA Snooping (businessinsider.com)
- Encrypted email service linked to Edward Snowden shuts down (telegraph.co.uk)